Coffee brands

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Kookla

Coffee brands

Postby Kookla » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi just curious for the coffee drinkers among you. We use a cafetiere daily. We have used Jacobs Eklektos for ages. Do any of you have a brand which you would recommend? Tia.

peebee

Re: Coffee brands

Postby peebee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:30 pm

Like the Jacobs, but we are fortunate to have a shop in Kalyves that has a large range of coffees.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm also a regular cafetiere user. Years ago I only drank instant coffee and my late wife only drank ground coffee. She used to make it the same as instant, i.e. throw some ground coffee in a beaker, add boiling water, wait a few minutes, add a splash of milk and then drink it with the grounds floating on top. I couldn't face that but I thought if I got a cafetiere at least we would only need to buy one sort of coffee. Shortly afterwards my wife swapped to only drinking tea. Γυναίκες! Τι να κάνουμε?

I've recently been using Costa Coffee which AB now sell. I used to use AB own brand Columbian which wasn't brilliant but it was OK and pretty cheap. The Costa variants are more expensive but certainly nicer. They've got a few different blends so buy one packet of each and see which you prefer. I've noticed that straightforward coffee is increasingly being replaced by all sorts of weird and wonderful flavours. I'm afraid I'm old school. When I drink coffee I want it to taste like coffee.

For a time I tried buying whole beans, from a shop in Chania more or less opposite Kotsovolos, and grinding small quantities myself so that it was fresher. In the end I decided I couldn't really tell the difference so I went back to pre-ground bags.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 am

I too use a cafetiere. Previously used a drip/filter machine but it's gold plated filter needed replacing and it would have been a very high cost. I started using ground coffee and, at first, it was good but gradually got worse: I am told that coffee is sensitive to air and temperature so, here it is not easy to keep fresh, and ground coffee is more sensitive than beans. So I got a grinder and some beans. What a wide range of tastes from different beans! So for over a year, I have tried many brands. One thing that is most notable is the difference in price from shop to shop for the same brand. I currently use "Riva Cafe" which costs around 12Euro per 1kg at Mart. When I ran out and got some other stuff at 13Euro from Metro I learned the fact that cheap often means rubbish! I have tried two different types from 1001+ (shop in Kalives and great website with fast delivery, highly recommended) and they worked out most expensive (over 20Euro per Kg) and no better that Riva Cafe. Some time ago, I got "Bellarom Intenso: from Lidl which was great but I have not seen it stocked at the Mournies branch since. If you see it, please let me know and I will buy a stock to keep in the freezer.

One kg lasts me about two weeks so storage is important. At present, the air temperature in my house is low (I have my windows and balcony door open all day) so it is Ok to decant the beans into two screw-top storage jars and keep them in the cupboard. When it gets warmer outside, one container will be in the fridge and then in summer, both will be in the fridge and I will top up the hopper on the grinder after each use so the beans are not fridge-cold when used.

Incidentally, I have never seen any coffee beans that were specifically for cafetieres. I was advised in 3 places to use beans designed for espresso.

On the pre-ground/ beans choice I just mention that you can grind beans from very fine, like pre-ground, to coarse that is recommended for the cafetiere. I have experimented and set the grinder at slightly less than course. I follow a barrister's advice and let the coffee stand in the cafetiere for 30 seconds or so then stir the grounds on the surface. I let it brew for about 4 minutes. If any knitter reads this, and if you want a project, a cozy for the cafetiere like the good old tea-cozy would be an ideal gift!

The only problem is that poured coffee contains too much grounds unless you leave the bottom bit in the cafetiere by very careful pouring. One day |I might see a cup-sized fine sieve and solve the problem!

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 pm

I would never trust any coffee-making advice from a lawyer, John. They're not to be trusted! :D :wink:

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:33 pm

johnincrete wrote:...Incidentally, I have never seen any coffee beans that were specifically for cafetieres. I was advised in 3 places to use beans designed for espresso...

As far as I know all beans are suitable for all types of coffee maker. The difference is how fine you grind them. Cafetieres need a fairly coarse grind because the press down filter is not very fine. Various machines that rely on paper filters need a somewhat finer grind while espresso machines need the finest grind. Syphon type coffee makers, like the classic Cona, also tend to use a coarser grind.

I once visited a shop/café somewhere along the Hog's Back in the UK that sold dozens of different types of beans. You could buy coffee in the café made from any of them and then buy them by the kilo in the shop to take home if you found one you liked. All the coffee sold in the café was made in individual cafetieres. They did the same for many different brands of tea. If I'd lived in that area, rather than just passing through I think it would have been one of my favourite haunts.

Warwick

PS If you really want to go mad Whittard are selling Jamaican Blue Mountain at £232 per kilo?

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:55 pm

johnincrete wrote: If any knitter reads this, and if you want a project, a cozy for the cafetiere like the good old tea-cozy would be an ideal gift!

Plenty on Ebay, or just use a tea towel.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. When we are able to travel a little further afield I shall look out for Costa Coffee, Riva Cafe and Bellarom Intenso.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:48 pm

Tim, It's the automatic spell-checker that I should be more careful of! An old man trying to sound young using the modern term for a guy or gal (can I say that?) who serves you a cup of coffee.
john

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:18 pm

johnincrete wrote:...An old man trying to sound young using the modern term for a guy or gal (can I say that?) who serves you a cup of coffee.
john

Only if you are a member of the cast of Oklahoma.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Kilkis wrote:
johnincrete wrote:...An old man trying to sound young using the modern term for a guy or gal (can I say that?) who serves you a cup of coffee.
john

Only if you are a member of the cast of Oklahoma.

Warwick

:D :D

Tim

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:32 pm

o-o-O- O O-KLAHOMA

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 pm

One word....Lavazza....in most super markets on Crete .... It what we drank when back in the UK ....

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:33 pm

Thanks Jeffstclair, I shall look it out as well as the others. Funnily enough I had seen this rated on an Observer article I had read a wee while ago.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed May 19, 2021 9:31 am

Kookla wrote:Hi just curious for the coffee drinkers among you. We use a cafetiere daily. We have used Jacobs Eklektos for ages. Do any of you have a brand which you would recommend? Tia.

I bought a coffee machine around the same time as @kookla originally posted this request, and I've since been trying different brands of coffee grounds. I've so far only bought from the range provided by Halkiadakis. For interest, my impressions are:

Starbucks House Blend medium roast: Okay. Nothing to write home about. 6/10
Jacobs Eklektos: Very good. Good default option. 7/10
Buondi Craft Yellow Bourbon Selection (yellow pack) Lovely. Best I've tried. 9/10
Buondi Craft 100% Arabica Selection (red pack) Bitter. Worst I've tried. 3/10

My machine takes whole beans as well, hence only 4 brands of grounds tried so far.

Tim

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”