Open a bank account without a tax numbet

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
brynarcher

Open a bank account without a tax numbet

Postby brynarcher » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:29 am

Any advice on how to open a joint bank account in Crete? Uk citizens. Wife has job residency and tax number in Crete I’m retired with cash in the bank in Uk from a business sale but the business was outside eu. I have no Uk pension as I lived outside Uk for 35 years. And banks keep asking for my Uk tax number which I dont have. And I can’t get my residency apparently until o can show a Greek bank account With cash in it. Any ideas? Thank you

Tim

Re: Open a bank account without a tax numbet

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:41 am

I think this has come up before about the UK tax number. Try giving them your UK National Insurance number - I think this is acceptable as it's unique to you.

Tim

Kilkis

Re: Open a bank account without a tax numbet

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:09 pm

It's not just that the NI number is "acceptable" it is the number that HMRC has decided to use as a Tax Identification Number for international purposes. If you are asked to provide a UK TIN by a foreign organisation then the NI number is the appropriate number to use. While some people also have a Unique Tax Reference, UTR, for accessing online HMRC services HMRC have decided not to use that as the UK TIN but to use the NI number instead.

You could also ask if your wife could sign a Legal Declaration, i.e. ΥΠΕΥΘΥΝΗ ΔΗΛΩΣΗ, stating that you are her dependent, that she is responsible for supporting you financially and then show her Greek tax clearance form as proof of income. I had to do this for my wife when we got our first residence permits back in 2005, although that was under previous legislation. I was working in Greece while she wasn't so pretty much the same situation. only reversed. They also needed a copy of the marriage certificate officially translated into Greek.

Warwick

Kilkis

Info on Getting a Greek Tax Number, ΑΦΜ

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

As a follow up on this, a friend asked his accountant to get him a Greek tax number, ΑΦΜ. Apparently he could not get a Residence Certificate unless he had an ΑΦΜ.

The accountant has told him that in order to get his ΑΦΜ he must provide an official letter from the UK authorities stating his UK Tax Identification Number, TIN, and the letter must have an Apostille Stamp. In case anybody else hits the same problem this government web page details how to get confirmation of your National Insurance number, which acts as a UK TIN, and this government web page details how to get an Apostille Stamp. It is vital that the letter confirming the NI number has a printed name of the person issuing the document, a signature and that the signature is the person whose name is printed, i.e. NOT pp. It helps if the person doing this already has their signature on record at the Legalisation Office.

I realise getting a bank account without an ΑΦΜ and getting an ΑΦΜ are not exactly the same thing but they are closely related.

Warwick

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”