Where can I buy polystyrene ceiling tiles?

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
gohunter

Where can I buy polystyrene ceiling tiles?

Postby gohunter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:42 am

Kalimera everyone,

I am looking to find where I can buy polystyrene ceiling tiles on Crete. I have tried a google search without any luck, but maybe I was just unlucky with the results. Obviously, these days, these tiles are fireproofed, unlike the older ones which were a fire risk.

The reason that I am looking is that we have recently bought and renovated a house in Limnes, near Agios Nikolaos, which has flat concrete roof, which means that in cooler months when the heating is on, we get condensation on the ceilings, resulting some mould, which I have treated. However, before we get back into cooler weather, I want to put up some ceiling tiles to stop the drastic difference in temperature. Our builder wanted to put more thick insulation on the outside of the roof, at a cost of several thousands of euros, but I don't believe that is the answer as the warm air will still be hitting cool concrete on the ceilings, plus of course we would be paying to heat that concrete ceiling!

Any help would be much appreciated. Ideally a supplier in the East of the island, but if I have to get them delivered from further afield, so be it.

Thanks in advance, Gordon

sandboy2

Re: Where can I buy polystyrene ceiling tiles?

Postby sandboy2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi Gordon, further to your question, surprised no replies as yet but most of those posting are from the other end of the Island.
In the past there has been much information about the amount of condensation someforms of heating produce, so this may be part of the problem, good ventilation also helps as in any house. Definitely don't spend those thousands the builder suggested, and if you have a problem finding these polystyrene panels there is probably good reason for this - you are obviously not the only person with this sort of ceiling, so it
is not the answer. It could be you stick the tiles on, and the problem from above continues to form between them and the ceiling,
they are unsightly as well of course. There is a fantastic paint readily available in hardware stores, unsure of the name but for
covering ( best to scrub off first they advise ) and preventing mould - no idea what they put in it but it is very, very effective !
Sounds like you may have already used this so - unless this "condensation" was visible and actually dripping off the ceiling,
you may have corrected it already. There is also an excellent white paint, not cheap for a whole roof, that would waterproof it
further from the top should the concrete have become slightly porous, and provide a modicum of insulation at the same time,
ask at a large hardware store where they speak English preferably.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:03 pm

I think most people just buy a dehumidifier (or two) and run them from December to March. It has worked for me after years of bleaching and repainting black/brown/green/orange upstairs ceilings!

Tim

gohunter

Postby gohunter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi sandboy2,

Thanks for the reply and your suggestions.

We already have the waterproofing insulation on the top of the various sections of roofing, so we know that there is no ingress of water due to the porous nature of the concrete. The reason that I am thinking of poly tiles, is that I know well of the insulation properties of them, so I believe that this solution will work. I remember many years ago, having them on the roof of a summerhouse and when, after several years, one fell off in winter, the following morning the frost could be seen across the whole roof, except where that tile was missing on the inside, showing just how much heat had escaped through that exact place, but nowhere else. As for them being unsightly, that is a matter of opinion and they are far more decorative these days than they used to be. :wink:

I have already investigated the mould resistant paint option, but have been told that it has to be renewed each year in order to continue working. Whether that is true or not, I don't know for certain, but the manufacturers only give a 1 year warranty, so it probably is. Obviously, that is quite a nuisance having to remove all the furniture from each room, paint it, let it dry and then go to the next. It is quite a big, single storey house, so I am looking for something more permanent.

As for ventilation, we have plenty of windows that are regularly open and the heating is electric, so it is dry heat and not producing the levels of moisture that you'd get with gas or oil burners, so it is a relatively small amount of condensation due to differing temperatures on cold surfaces, rather than produced by heating appliances.

Best regards,

Gordon

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:54 pm

I've never seen the stick on type here. I've seen plenty of the insulated panels they use in suspended ceilings. If you can't find them in Greece they are readily available in the UK. If they won't deliver direct get them delivered to Nomad Crete Express and they will bring them to Crete at reasonable expense. You'll need to drive down the posh end of the island to pick them up or pay a bit extra to get them delivered down your end.

Personally I don't like them and I don't trust the "They're now fireproof" claim. I've watched footage of a fire propagating across a ceiling with polystyrene tiles fitted, Scary. Also the fumes they give off are a lot more dangerous than say wood smoke.

Warwick

ChrisM

Postby ChrisM » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:20 am

Praktiker list some on their website
as it is not in the most obvious place you can find them
- listed under (when switched to English) -
Paints & Building ; Paints and varnishes; Ceiling decoration

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:52 am

Here

Warwick

PS I am posting the direct link because when I look at Praktiker in English using Chrome the path described by ChrisM doesn't exist.

gohunter

Postby gohunter » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:30 am

Brilliant!

Thanks for your help everyone. Funnily enough Praktiker was the first place I looked, but with the English translation, I didn't find any. Thanks for the link. I have them now and will get them ordered. I'd also thought of the suspended ceiling option too.

Thanks again,

Gordon

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:56 pm

I had this problem on this house years ago ...the ceilings in this house are very high so I made a 50mmx50mm timber framework with 50mm foam insulation above and T 'n'G below ...It works well, in the winter when the snow is deep on my roof and the other occupied houses in the village the roofs are wet with no snow. And in the summer our house stays cool .....

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”