If you are employed in Greece and your employer has paid IKA contributions (or another National
Insurance such as TAXI  etc.) you will be entitled to unemployment benefit, should you become
unemployed, when you have 2 consecutive years of contributions paid.

Seasonal unemployment benefit can be claimed for a specific period of time only, after the first
of (seasonal) contributions have been paid.  Many people with summer employment claim
unemployment benefit each winter (or each summer in the case of  
English teachers )

2013 New Greece Unemployment Benefit Regulations

From January 2013 new regulations come into force which will see many seasonal workers in tourism,
construction and agriculture losing their allowances as of 01.01.2013.

OAED, the Greek Unemployment Agency, have announced measures to limit benefits for seasonal
workers to 450 days over the last four-year period. Thus someone who has received 150 days ( 6
months) unemployment benefit in 2009, 2010 & 2011 and 90 days in 2012 will have accumulated 540
days of benefit in the four-year period and will not be eligible for any benefit from 1st January 2013.

Regulations are expected to be even tougher as of 01.01.2014, where unemployment benefit will be
granted for only 400 days in the last four-year period.

The measure will hit thousands of workers who work for only several months a year and used to
receive unemployment allowances for the period of time that they had no work.

Here is the
OAED circular in Greek, which counts more than 12 examples of how the allowances will be
given (or not).  

Source Keep Talking Greece

First time Claims
The insured in Greece must have at least 80 working days 'stamps' for each year of the last two years
and this must include, in the last 14 months at least 125 working days, but not including the last 2

Or the insured must have at least 200 days in the last two years, not including the last two months
e.g. someone who has worked May to October 2011 and May to October 2010, with a minimum 100
days 'stamps' for each of those years,  is entitled to umemployment benefit from November 2011
(usually to April/May - i.e. for 5 or 6 months, depending on the number of contributions paid).

Subsequent claims
The insured in Greece must have at least 100 working days in the last 12 months, and have not
claimed more than 450 days benefit in the last four years (from Jan 2013).

To make a claim
go to the 'OAED' (Manpower and Employment Organisation)  office within 60 days of
termination of employment , with the following documents:

  • Tax Return E1 for previous year and a photocopy of this

  • IKA (or TAXI etc) statement of  'stamps' paid for previous 2  years.        N.B. It is likely you will
    not yet have received your official paperwork from  IKA, or your other national insurance
    company, showing the number of days work for the current year.  Your local IKA (or other
    insurance) office can provide a printed list.

  • IKA (or TAXI etc)  health book and any dependants health book, plus photocopies of these

  • Passport and a photocopy of passport

  • Official document showing your AMKA number

  • A letters from your employer stating when you finished work - when the business has closed at
    the end of season, or when you were laid off (Apolysei / Απόλυση)

  • An Unemployment Card from OAED

  • New 2012 Copy of an electricity or telephone bill for proof of address.

  • New 2011/2012 Proof of income payments for the last three months - usually bank receipts, where
    your employer has paid your salary directly into your bank account

  • A copy of your bank book for a National Bank of Greece (NBG) bank account (of which you must
    be the main account holder). If you don't have one you'll need to open a new account at NBG
    before applying for benefit.

Your papers will be taken and processed and you will be told when to return to sign for your first
payment , usually 4 to 6 weeks later, and thereafter every two months. The benefit is paid directly
into your National Bank account monthly.

Seasonal unemployment benefit is a standard amount for all claimants; in 2012 the amount is 359
Euros per month from March 1st 2012 (reduced due to Greece austerity measures by 22% from
461.50 Euros per month, previously) with a 10% increase for each dependant child.  

Persons who receive unemployment benefit in the United Kingdom and move to Greece in an effort
to find work may continue to receive unemployment benefit in Greece from the local Manpower and
Employment Organisation Office (OAED) for a period of THREE months.  They should produce to their
local OAED office (above) form E303, which is issued by their local Benefit Agency in the United
Kingdom.  They must also register themselves at the same OAED office as unemployed within 7 days
Copyright 2004-2012  Carol Palioudaki.  Unemployment Benefit Greece.   www.livingincrete.net
Living in Crete
Unemployment Benefit Greece
Index  > Red Tape > Unemployment Benefit Greece
Unemployment Benefit
in Greece & Crete
Living in Crete guide book

This article is based on the book
"Living in Crete. A Guide to Living, working, Retiring & Buying
Property in Crete"
click here to get a copy

Index  > Red Tape > Unemployment Benefit Greece
Updated November 2012