Driver up your bum-per

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:14 am

Excuse me are you casting nasturtiums on my manhood by suggesting there was another driver in front of me! When I get into a car 2 rules apply, 1) nobody but nobody can drive in front of me and 2) what is behind is not important.

If you are referring to my post earlier, please note I said it was a woman I was overtaking so that doesn't count as a "driver" and she appeared to be on some form of religious kick because she was constantly repeating some mantra or other....couldn't hear properly because I was on the phone at the time....but it looked like she was repeating over and over something about an experiment.

Its a weird world out there.

HPeponi

Postby HPeponi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:51 pm

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excuse me are you casting nasturtiums on my manhood by suggesting there was another driver in front of me! When I get into a car 2 rules apply, 1) nobody but nobody can drive in front of me and 2) what is behind is not important.

If you are referring to my post earlier, please note I said it was a woman I was overtaking so that doesn't count as a "driver" and she appeared to be on some form of religious kick because she was constantly repeating some mantra or other....couldn't hear properly because I was on the phone at the time....but it looked like she was repeating over and over something about an experiment.

Its a weird world out there. :x :/quote]

:lol: :lol: Naughty naughty....won't get me rising to the bait Paul! However, I should refer you to your nearest botanist or "geoponos", if you like. You poor love, with nasturtiums on your manhood it's no wonder you drive so recklessly. It would be a wonder if you had anybody driving anywhere near you, let alone in front or behind....

"nasturtium" - a pungent genus of plants -
from the Latin "nasus" - nose and "torquere" - to twist (from its pungency). :twisted:

I may be a mere woman but I know enough to advise you to get that nasturtium REMOVED quickly or your manhood may be seriously damaged.....and you wouldn't want that would you? :roll:

Kenny

Re: Driver up your bum-per

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 pm

Kathleen wrote:Hey girl, I have survived over twenty years. Who want's to use a taxi or bus and put your life in someone elses hands?

Go for it, give 'em hell, we have been here long enough to realise the way it works! :evil: :evil:

Kathleen,I know you have addressed this to Caroline but why do I sense anger directed at me? Am I not allowed an opinion ? Ken.

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Tried Caroline's experiment on way to Rethymnon today.

My left arm has now been rendered totally useless from the strain of trying to keep the car on the straight and "narrow".

There is definitely a seriously steep and totally deceptive R.H. camber on both sides of the Ethniki, (and of course I won't waste anyone's time mentioning the maniacs who continue to overtake on double white lines on a blind bend !)

Can't re-read all the posts now I'm in the middle of this, but did someone say they'd already asked a policeman? If not, anyone going to the kafeneion later where there will be one to ask?

Not so long ago, when I was coming back from Chania, there was a Policeman who was actually waving all passing cars to drive over THAT white line (and it wasn't because there were any hazards ahead).

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:51 pm

ahhh Peponi........but you did rise to the bait :) :)

I can now reply that however bad having nasturtiums on my manhood it was/is infinitely preferable to having a bunch of pansies there. TADA

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:21 pm

[/quote]Kathleen,I know you have addressed this to Caroline but why do I sense anger directed at me? Am I not allowed an opinion ? Ken.[/quote]

Ken, my comment is not directed at you and was not made in anger.

From a practical point of view it does not make economic sense for me (and probably others too) to use a taxi transfer to make a 140km round trip to and from the Airport, in addition there is no close bus link to my house. I certainly wouldn't like to lug my cases or shopping bags up the hill to get home. I have also had some pretty hairy cab rides over the years when going out in the evening, without the car, intending to be able to have a drink.

Using a car is the best way to get around as far as I am concerned. Having driven in Crete as long as I have, I have confidence in my own ability to continue to do so, regardless of whatever new restrictions may be introduced.

To quote your own saying 'Don't worry, be happy' :)

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:10 pm

Kathleen wrote:
Kathleen,I know you have addressed this to Caroline but why do I sense anger directed at me? Am I not allowed an opinion ? Ken.[/quote]

Ken, my comment is not directed at you and was not made in anger.

I am pleased to hear this Kathleen. The post I made about using buses or taxis was relating to me only. I accept that this would not be a feasible option for everyone but it might be for me as i do not plan on living far from the town and the money I would save would certainly pay for buses or taxis with change over.Just me being frugal and looking at all the options.
I can well afford to buy a car and I may well still do this (can be fickle :) ) just in case I am accused again of wanting to do things on the cheap. Ken. :wink:

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 pm

I think you will find that whilst buses and taxis can be quite adequate when you are relaxed and on holiday when you actually live here and have to go to 3 different places in one morning before it gets too hot that you will quickly plonk for a car.

Thats the way it went for us

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:46 pm

paulh wrote:I think you will find that whilst buses and taxis can be quite adequate when you are relaxed and on holiday when you actually live here and have to go to 3 different places in one morning before it gets too hot that you will quickly plonk for a car.

Thats the way it went for us

Please don't think I am being awkward Paul as that is not my intention.
I respect your views as you live in Crete so you have the knowledge.
I do know that being on holiday and living there can be quite different but I am moving over in retirement and I do not plan to rush about trying to get to three different places in one morning when one place per morning would do.
However having said that I may plonk for a car anyway. Ken.

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:31 pm

I meant it as a practical thing and I assure you however much you plan something Greece has a way of saying " now will you listen". But no problem just bear it in mind and see if it happens that way for you.

For me i think it was when we were in the process of getting a car, don't need to hire one it's only a month until ours will be ready, anyway we needed the residents permit because it was being bought in my name so we were in Chania police station as were say 10 others and after about 2 hours we got into the room and she took one look at the papers and said she couldn't do them because we lived on Akrotiri and that was under Souda . So we got a taxi to Souda police station and straight in....lovely....ahh yes you are in the right place but the woman who does that job has just gone to Athens so come back next Tuesday, So Tuesday another taxi to Souda police station ... hello how are you ..... sorry but the woman got delayed and won't be back until tonight, best not bother her Wednesday it will be her first day back so come in again on Thursday. So Thursday we phone before going there, yes she's in so taxi there again and all done quickly but with a nice coffee and chat thrown in. and as we are leaving she says, ok these now go to Athens to check you are not on our main list of known terrorists so they should be back next Tuesday. We phoned, they were ready that Tuesday so taxi to Souda again pick up the papers, Bus into Chania and we were back on track but that was after one visit to Chania police and four to Souda and 11 days elapsed and a lot of running around. We had expected one maybe 2 visits in relatively central Chania....wrong. This was August and whilst we kept a smile it was very hot and bothersome.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:14 pm

Have things changed, Paul or do you not have a really local police station. When we first thought to get Residence Permits (in '02) we went to Vamos Police station which is only about 4Km away. Our first effort was rebuffed on the grounds that, "We're about to close for lunch. Come on Monday."

Like you, we were waiting for our new car but we did have a hire car which was just as well; using public transport would have been a problem, Although only 4Km to Vamos there were only four buses per day at (very approx:) 07:30, 11:30, 15:30 and 19:30. Getting back would also have been a problem as the buses, instead of terminating in Vamos and turning round, returned to Hania by a different route through other villages. The only common point, locally, was Kalyves which is 4Km the other side of us.

We would have had to get the bus (conveniently almost outside our door), go to Vamos, spend, say, 45 mins. in the police station and wait about three hours for the next bus. This would take us on a country tour lasting about 45 mins before dropping us in Kalyves from where we'd have had to get a taxi home or wait another three hours for the next bus.

Yes, walking would have been an alternative but it's a fairly steeply undulating road so there's quite a bit of uphill in both directions and we wouldn't have fancied doing it in the heat.

In the same situation now it would be no problem as we'd just go to the kafeneio and ask who was going to Vamos. Someone from the village would promptly take us and wait to bring us back.

At least we got our permits in only two visits to the nick.

Filippos.

jeansy

driving

Postby jeansy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:23 pm

8) Oh the absolute joy of driving on this wonderful Island, you have all expressed valid points on the abilities of locals to drive in a manner suitable for early death through either an rta or heart failure.
But lets be honest for us ex-pats it ensures we are always on top of our game and concentrating on which numptie is going to do what to screw up a fairly pleasant drive.
I have reason tobelieve that the driving instructors are ex special forces and train their students to be sneaky in the ways of causing mayhem to other users,
overtake on inside or outside !
toot horn when right next to a driver who maybe chatting on phone !
try to see what person has on back seat of car through rear window !
talk on phone ,drink coffee, pick nose, play with something on passenger seat all at 100 kmph whilst on the other side of the road!
Besides it is only natural to want to be in that place that somebody else is in ???
If you want to really miff a cretan driver stop the car stare at the other driver raise your sunglasses and blow them a kiss, it works a treat in heraklion :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having lived and driven a 38 tonne truck in Paris Cret is just a fun day out

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:21 pm

filippos wrote:Have things changed, Paul or do you not have a really local police station.

Souda police station is the main station for the whole of Akrotiri. There is a police station in Sternes, Akrotiri, but they can't issue residence permits. Possibly in the same way that Armeni police station can't issue permits for those in Kalyves etc as the main station is in Vamos ?

filippos

Re: driving

Postby filippos » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:56 pm

jeansy wrote:Oh the absolute joy of driving on this wonderful Island, ...
Think I must have metamorphosed into a Cretan; I like driving here.

Filippos.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Carolina wrote:
filippos wrote:Have things changed, Paul or do you not have a really local police station.

Souda police station is the main station for the whole of Akrotiri.
That answers that, then. Thanks Carol.

I still think that in most places here a car is pretty much essential. Less of a problem if one lives in, or very close to, one of the big towns but not having personal transport is generally very inconvenient.

Filippos.

Return to “General Discussion & News”