|Copyright © 2004-2017 All rights reserved. Carol Palioudaki Living in Crete www.livingincrete.net
|Living in Crete
General Info - Battle of Crete
|Battle of Crete
|The Battle of Crete, 20th May 1941
The airborne invasion of Crete took place during WWII when German paratroopers landed at Maleme Airport near
Crete was the scene of the largest German Airborne operation of the war, and the first time in history that an
island had been taken by airborne assault.
Afterwards, Crete was dubbed the graveyard of the Fallschirmjager (German Parachutists); they suffered nearly
4000 killed and missing in the assault.
It was also the first time the Germans had encountered stiff partisan activity, with women and even children getting
involved in the battle.
Read all about the Battle of Crete at
Programme of Commemorations for 2017
The Official Programme for 2017
The Events of the 76th Anniversary of the Battle of Crete 2017
The Commemorations will run from Sunday the 14th May until Sunday 21st May 2017
Thursday 18 May 2017
- 11:00 5th Cretan Division at Kolimbari .
Friday 19 May 2017
- 10:00 in the morning Firkas Fortress Flag Raising by Maritime Museum .
- 13:30 Inauguration of Memorial New Zealand - Australian ANZAC at 42nd Tsikaliaria St.
- 18:00 Galatas Hill Greek - New Zealand Memorial .
Saturday 20 May 2017
- 11:00 Ceremony at Alikianos - Keritis Monument .
- 11:00 R.A.F Memorial at Maleme , Crete Veterans Wreath Laying .
- 15:00 Welsh Memorial , at Galatas , Crete Veterans Wrath Laying .
- 18:00 Souda Bay CWGC Ceremony ( memorial service, laying of wreaths ) .
Sunday 21 May 2017
- 11:00 Doxology at Metropolitan Church in Chania .
- 13:00 Ceremony at the German War Cemetery , at Maleme .
- 18:30 Closing Ceremony at Maleme Airfield - Battle of Crete monument - , Air Show by the F-16 Demo Team '
Zeus ' and Paratroopers .
Above: RAF Red Arrows display over Chania Harbour May 22nd 2011 marking the 70th Anniversary of
the Battle of Crete.
See more photos here