|Copyright © 2004-2018 All rights reserved. Carol Palioudaki Living in Crete www.livingincrete.net
|Living in Crete
General Info - Battle of Crete
|Battle of Crete
|The Battle of Crete, 20th May 1941
The airborne invasion of Crete took place during WWII when German paratroopers landed at Maleme Airport near Chania.
Crete was the scene of the largest German Airborne operation of the war, and the first time in history that an island had been
taken by airborne assault.
Afterwards, Crete was dubbed the graveyard of the Fallschirmjager (German Parachutists); they suffered nearly 4000 killed
and missing in the assault.
It was also the first time the Germans had encountered stiff partisan activity, with women and even children getting involved in
Read all about the Battle of Crete at
Programme of Commemorations around Chania for the 77th Anniversary of the Battle of Crete 2018
Confirmed Programme for 2018
Updated 10th May 2018.
Wednesday 16th May 2018
- 18.30 Nea Hora harbour. Memorial service & laying of wreaths. With the mayor of Chania
Thursday 17 May 2018
- 11:00 5th Cretan Division at Kolimbari .
Friday 18 May 2018
- 10:00 in the morning Firkas Fortress Flag Raising by Maritime Museum .
- 13:30 Inauguration of Memorial New Zealand - Australian ANZAC at 42nd Tsikaliaria St.
- 18:00 Galatas Hill Greek - New Zealand Memorial .
Saturday 19 May 2018
- 11:00 Ceremony at Alikianos - Keritis Monument .
- 18:00 Souda Bay CWGC Ceremony ( memorial service, laying of wreaths ) .
Sunday 20 May 2018
- 11:00 Doxology at Metropolitan Church in Chania .
- 13:00 Ceremony at the German War Cemetery , at Maleme .
- 18:30 Closing Ceremony at Maleme Airfield - Battle of Crete monument - , Air Show by the F-16 Demo Team ' Zeus ' and Paratroopers .
& Zarpa News
Above: RAF Red Arrows display over Chania Harbour May 22nd 2011 marking the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Crete.
See more photos here